How do I fix crashed windows
How to Fix Your Vista Sidebar Crashed or Stuck
If you are installing a lot of different Vista gadgets, you may have encountered a situation where your Vista sidebar will stop working properly, or it may even crash or (more often) just hang. You can reset the sidebar to its default settings with a simple tweak that we explain here.
This optimization is as simple as backing up and renaming a file. When the sidebar is restarted, the default settings will be restored.
Note: If you restore the default settings, you will need to add your gadgets back to the sidebar. Hardly a problem if your sidebar stops working.
Close the sidebar
You want to make sure the sidebar is completely closed before doing anything else. Just because you can't see the sidebar doesn't mean it's not running in the background.
First, right-click the sidebar icon in the system tray and then select Exit. (Background image found here)
You should receive a message asking if you really want to close the program.
Next, you want to check Task Manager to make sure there are no sidebar.exe processes that shouldn't be running. If it does, just right click on it and select "End Process".
Reset the sidebar to the default settings
Open a Windows Explorer window and paste the following into the address bar:
% localappdata% microsoftWindows Sidebar
This will open the sidebar gadgets folder, which should contain a file called Settings.ini.
You want to rename this file to a different file, or at least make a backup copy of the file in a different location. This file contains your current sidebar configuration.
As soon as you restart the sidebar from the start menu, you will notice that a new Settings.ini is created immediately.
If you are still having problems with a gadget, you can open the gadget folder shown above and see a list of all the gadgets that the user has installed:
You can delete any of these folders if you want (always back up your files first).
With any luck, you should now have a working sidebar.
- What are some legendary swords besides Excalibur
- Is cheela fermented or unfermented bread
- What is Jordan Peterson's psychological approach
- What is isomerism
- What wounds cause tetanus
- Why don't people like Xperia phones
- How can we make science art
- What is the minimum bid
- What language was invented in 1990
- What connection do Aristotle and Pythagoras have
- How is paper money influential
- How is groin strain treated?
- Why do people feed puppies goat milk
- Who is the best character in Danganronpa
- How does ADHD cause insomnia
- Where does the official passport come from?
- How are receivables categorized in accounting
- How do you drag a trailer
- What do conservatives think of gerrymandering?
- How do thoughts come to mind
- Who is mighty Dante or Virgil?
- What is banana swing in cricket
- How do I get better at Java
- All religions are essentially a doctrine