Potassium nitrate is harmful to health
Potassium nitrateDrug groupsSalts Potassium nitrate is a salt that releases oxygen when heated and thus promotes fire and explosion. In the past it was therefore used, among other things, to produce asthma smoke powder and as a diuretic. Today it is hardly used medically any more. When dispensing as open goods in pharmacies and drugstores, it should be noted that potassium nitrate is suitable for the production of black powder, smoke bombs and fuses. It is also added to meat as a preservative (E 252) and is found in sausage, ham and salami, among other things.
synonymous: Kalii nitrasPhEur, saltpeter, potassium nitrate, E 252, potassium nitric acid, Chinese snow, potassium nitricumProducts
Potassium nitrate is available as an open product in pharmacies and drugstores.Structure and properties
Potassium Nitrate (KNO3, Mr = 101.1 g / mol) is available as a white, crystalline powder or as colorless crystals. It is easily soluble in water at room temperature and very easily soluble in boiling water. Potassium nitrate is odorless, tastes cool, salty and somewhat bitter. It should be kept tightly closed and dry.
Potassium nitrate has oxidizing properties. When heated, it releases oxygen, thereby improving combustion and can cause explosions:
- 2 KNO3 (Potassium nitrate) → 2 KNO2 (Potassium nitrite) + O2 (Oxygen)
See also under redox reactions.application areas
- Potassium nitrate is found in toothpaste and dental rinses, which are used to treat hypersensitivity to the neck of the tooth.
- For the production of cold mixtures.
Previous areas of application:
For making fireworks, explosives and gunpowder:
- For preserving / curing meat (= E 252).
Various technical applications, for example as a fertilizer.see also literature
- Poulsen S. et al. Potassium containing toothpastes for dentine hypersensitivity. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2006, CD001476 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on 11/23/2019.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- Are drugs against Sharia law in Iran
- Why should I use Joomla
- What are the best jobs for communicators
- Which avenger can take on Galactus
- John Frusciante had a wife
- Still mine crypto currency
- What is a good simple database program
- What is traditional machine learning
- Use developer Mac or PC
- Can cause pantoprazole lupus
- What is Bart Simpson's full name
- Which aircraft has the largest fuel capacity?
- Who is the uncle of Lord Hanuman
- What are SEO Recommendations
- How do I start with extreme coupons
- Which bone articulates with the femur bone
- Can AlphaGo explain his movements while playing?
- How do I improve my jump shot
- What is a natural port
- Which wine should I combine with swordfish?
- How good an actor is John Malkovich
- How do you have such great knowledge
- How difficult is managing a hedge fund
- How are boys supposed to flirt with girls
- What are the main subatomic particles
- How many miles are UK km
- Why is Kendriya Vidyalaya famous
- Interpol interacts with America
- How does debt management affect monetary policy?
- Is the DNA detection correct?
- Which is the best camera guide
- What is the imaginary universe
- What does smoking do to your teeth
- What are the standard pages on Shopify