Who was King Abijah in the Bible
Abija - Bible lexicon
1. Son and successor of Rehoboam king of Judah. He began his kingship in the 18th year of Jeroboam king of Israel (913 BC) and ruled for three years. He lived in the sin of his father Rehoboam. But for David's sake he was put on the throne, for the LORD had said: "And I will give his son a tribe, that my servant David may have a lamp before me every day in Jerusalem" (1 Kings 11:36 ; 15.4). "It was war between Abijah and Jeroboam". Abijah tried to revive the ten tribes with a patriotic address and to reunite the 12 tribes. But this could not happen because the break in the middle of the former 12-tribe kingdom of Israel was brought about by God because of the sin of the people. Yet Abijah trusted in the LORD, for he rebuked Israel for the golden calves that they had erected. God struck Jeroboam and all Israel, and 500,000 chosen men of Israel fell. Abijah also took the cities of Bethel, Jeschana, and Ephraim. Jeroboam was unable to regain strength during the reign of Abijah (2 Chronicles 13).
In the war mentioned above, Israel had 800,000 selected men and Judah 400,000. These numbers, added to the number of those killed, have been the subject of much criticism in the past. These critics claim that only 80,000 men and 40,000 men respectively were involved in the war. Furthermore, only 50,000 were killed during the war. The latter figures from the mouths of the critics can also be found in early Latin copies and in some early copies of Josephus.
But preference must be given to the numbers in the Hebrew Scriptures: David's census found 1,100,000 residents in Israel and 470,000 in Judah, this census being without the tribes of Levi and Benjamin. These figures date from 50 years before the battle mentioned above, so that there was enough time for a significant increase in the total population. This becomes even more likely against the backdrop of the plague that followed the census. In 2 Samuel 24: 9, the number of fighting men in Israel is given as only 800,000. It is believed that this number does not include the standing army, which according to 1 Chronicles numbered 27.1 288,000 (24,000 x 12) men. If you add the officers, you can calculate 300,000 and add these to the 800,000 to make 1,100,000. On the other hand, it is believed that the number of soldiers of Judah in 2 Samuel was 500,000. David may have had 30,000 with him in Jerusalem, of whom Joab separated himself, which could have been added here. Joab are then not taken into account in 1 Chronicles 21: 5.
“But Abijah grew stronger and took fourteen wives”, who must have become a snare for him (2 Chronicles 13: 1-22), In 1 Kings 14:31; 15: 1-8 he is called "Abijam", in 1 Chronicles 3,10 and Matthew 1,7 in some translations "Abia".
2. Son of Jeroboam I, king of Israel. His mother disguised herself and came to Achijah the Prophet to find out whether or not her child would recover from his illness. Jehovah revealed to the prophet who it was who came to him and told the mother of the difficult judgment that would fall on her husband and on her house; but "because something good was found in him against Jehovah, the God of Israel," he should take his tomb in peace. By grace Abijah was saved from judgment. When his mother came to the doorstep, he died (1 Kings 14, 1-17).
3. One of Samuel's sons and a judge of Israel. He took bribes and abused justice. The Israelites used this as an excuse to demand a king (1 Sam 8: 2; 1 Chr 6:13).
4. Descendant of Eleazar, who gave his name to the eighth of twenty-four priesthoods (1 Chronicles 24:10). The same person is called Abijah in Luke 1: 5.
5. daughter of Sekariah and mother of Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 29: 1); the name is abbreviated to "Abi" in 2 Kings 18.2.
6. One or more of the priests who returned from captivity, one of whom sealed the covenant (Nehemiah 10: 7; 12: 4, 17).
7. The wife of Hezron (1 Chr 2:24).
8. A son of Beker (1 Chr 7,8).
- How is your experience at KANHA NATIONAL PARK
- What are the main types of coffee
- Have you ever saved your business?
- Can you still use a broken shoulder
- Not no is a double negative
- Who designed the power button
- ExpertOption is a scam
- How do I introduce my kittens
- What are the goals of commercial banks
- Schaedlingsbekaempfung travel mice through ventilation slots
- Why do quartz balls absorb water
- How do I stop being a wus
- What emoji says the most
- How do I boil an egg
- What does normally sucked in engines mean
- What is a limpet
- What is a juried art exhibition
- What does a dumb INTJ look like
- What counted in feudalism
- Advertising dies
- What is the tissue in the nose
- Should I invest in Bitcoin 2017
- How is energy and matter the same
- How long does the HPV vaccine last?