What is the most interesting tasting fruit
The favorite apple varieties for the home and allotment garden
From the variety of varieties currently on offer, it is very difficult for the hobby gardener to make the right choice. The present recommendation is intended as a decision-making aid, with the aim of placing both good-tasting and relatively robust, rather problem-free varieties in the foreground.
This list is based on many years of experience at the Bavarian State Institute for Viticulture and Horticulture and takes into account the availability in the Bavarian tree nurseries. Of course, the specialist companies also offer a wider range of varieties, including local specialties.
Here you can find information on spindle training.
Scab-resistant apple varieties
- Versatile use (fresh consumption, stored apples, cider fruit).
- Meanwhile good taste, e.g. T. 'Elstar' level!
- Unfortunately, some varieties have a somewhat hard shell.
- By avoiding fungicide treatments: "Healthy fruit from healthy trees".
Can be stored for a short time
- 'Gerlinde': maturity from the end of August; small to medium-sized fruit with red cheeks or red stripes, regular and high yields, very good taste ('Elstar' descendant), crunchy, sweet with a fine acidity, medium susceptibility to mildew, somewhat sparse growth
- 'Santana': maturity in early / mid-September; "Scab-resistant Elstar" from Holland: spicy, sweet and sour, juicy; do not harvest too late for better storage life. Well tolerated by allergy sufferers.
- 'Rebella': ripening from mid-September; red cheeks or stripes, sweet with a slight acidity, somewhat hard shell and coarse-celled meat; early, high, regular yields, hardly any alternation, very reliable variety
- 'Rubinola': ripening in mid-September; good taste variety (sweet, light acidity, fine aroma), medium-sized fruit, sparse growth, few branches
- 'Roter Aloisius' ('Titan'): Ripe (middle) / end of September: medium-sized fruit, almost flat, red-orange in color, firm, juicy flesh, sweet taste with fine acidity and distinctive aroma; Yield early, high, regular; Purchase of the "Bayernapfels": www.roter-aloisius.de
- 'Florina': ripening from the beginning of October; dark red and bluish frosted fruit, sweet, little acid, more acid when the pick is just ripe and then better in taste, powdery mildew possible. Preferred for 'Golden Delicious' or 'Jonagold' lovers.
Ripe for picking early to mid-October, ready for consumption after a short storage period
- 'Topaz': a "gemstone"! In terms of taste, the best scab-resistant variety: juicy, sweet with fresh acidity, aromatic, spicy; medium-sized fruit, orange-red covering color, striped, looks like an old variety, skin can become greasy if harvested too late, can be stored well, powdery mildew is possible.
'Red Topaz': a better and more red-colored mutant
- 'Resista': medium-sized fruit, yellow-green, slightly orange in color on the sunny side; crunchy, juicy, very good taste
- 'Solaris': yellow-peeled 'Topaz' descendant with orange cheeks; sweet and sour, firm, very good shelf life until May
'Collina', a very early variety with good taste, is often only available for commercial cultivation.
Varieties that are not resistant to scab, but have a good taste
- 'Piros', 'Galmac': maturity from the beginning of August; yellow-green with red stripes, medium-sized fruit, mildly sour, finely aromatic, sweeter than 'Retina'
- 'Alkmene': ripening from the beginning of September; Medium-sized fruit, aromatic, taste and optically similar to 'Cox Orange', but less prone to disease than this one.
- 'Freiherr von Berlepsch': maturity from the end of September; aromatic, slightly sour; Apple with a high vitamin C content can be kept until around March; Yield not always satisfactory
- 'Pilot': maturity from the beginning of October; late ripening, very good storability (until May), ready to eat only from December, bright red on a yellow-green background, medium-sized, sweet and sour, aromatic
Activation requiredBy clicking on this text, YouTube videos will be displayed throughout the website in the future.
For data protection reasons, we would like to point out that after permanent activation, data will be transmitted to YouTube.
You can find more information on our data protection page and cancel this activation.
- Is the domain ending better than com
- Tramadol is a vasodilator
- Is Disprin good for your health?
- Do the US have highways
- What kind of software is email
- What does Golgappa mean
- How many Punjabi employees work on Google
- Why is vermicompost a good fertilizer
- Where does Icelandair fly to
- Why isn't Lake Tahoe freezing
- What was Sigmund Freud's cause of death
- Why did Facebook Poke fail
- What's the name of football
- What are the benefits of breeding animals
- Where is the American public university system
- How can I earn people's respect?
- What is the tallest cable car in India
- What is the keyword of seeds
- Would the parliament work in the Philippines
- Why are some countries so silent?
- How do I distribute overheads
- What is the full form of MIDC
- Where does procurement begin
- Can ICE take you away without a warrant