How does water lower blood sugar
Bedtime vinegar lowers morning blood sugar
(16.01.2008) Sometimes there are very simple remedies that can help to get a better grip on type 2 diabetes. Scientists from the USA have shown in a small study that the "consumption" of vinegar has a positive effect on the glucose level: If you are a type 2 diabetic who takes a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before going to bed, you may experience slightly lower blood sugar levels the next morning looking forward.
A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before
Can go to sleep
possibly blood sugar
Various studies have already come to the result in the past that vinegar in food can have a positive effect on excessive blood sugar levels. So far, however, one only had the effects on postprandial blood sugar - i.e. H. for glucose levels immediately after eating - examined. Scientists led by Carol S. Johnston from Arizona State University in Mesa, USA, have investigated the question of the influence of a small dose of vinegar before going to bed in a new study.
Four men and seven women between the ages of 40 and 72 took part in the small pilot study. All persons were type 2 diabetics who were taking different diabetes medications. The only exception: insulinized diabetics were excluded from the study. The men and women adhered to a precisely defined menu for several days. During this time, blood sugar levels were measured every morning around 7:00 a.m. After the third day, study participants consumed either one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or one tablespoon of water before bed for three nights in a row. The vinegar or the water were given together with a small piece of cheese (approx. 30 g with 8 g protein, 1 g carbohydrates and 1.5 g fat). Nothing changed about the previous diabetes medication. After a washout phase of another 3-5 days, the groups changed: Those who had previously taken vinegar now received water, and vice versa.
The result: The small vinegar and cheese meals before going to bed had a positive effect on blood sugar levels the next morning. On average, the glucose level measured around 7:00 a.m. was almost 5 mg / dl lower. If the vinegar was replaced by water, however, the blood sugar levels were reduced by only about 2.5 mg / dl the next morning. The differences between the "vinegar group" and the "water group" were statistically significant in this study. Type 2 diabetics benefited most with a glucose level above 130 mg / dl in the morning. Here, the additional vinegar intake before going to bed caused the morning blood sugar to be lowered by around six percent. In the case of diabetics with a fasting blood sugar below 130 mg / dl, the values were “only” reduced by about 0.7 percent in comparison.
The conclusion of the scientists: In type 2 diabetics with high fasting blood sugar levels, vinegar may have a beneficial effect on the evening menu. A tablespoon before bed can help lower some morning blood sugar levels. However, further studies still have to clarify how sensible it is to "enjoy" vinegar on a regular and permanent basis.
Dr. med. Anja Lütke, freelancer at Diabetes-Deutschland.de, German Diabetes Center at Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research
Source: White AM, Johnston CS. Vinegar ingestion at bedtime moderate waking glucose concentrations in adults with well-controlled type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2007; 30: 2814-5
- Who is the best musician in Bollywood
- You could have heart failure at 17
- What is the Ultimate Fighting Championship UFC
- Who is Dishani Chakraborty
- What is the purpose of the Masons
- What people influenced Shakespeare philosophically
- Is BB Ki Vines underrated these days
- How do hotels use revenue management
- What's your favorite picture on the subject of food
- Is there a secret in Jayalalitha's death?
- Is Lakswadeep worth a visit
- Is the judicial review democratic
- What is grass-fed Kobe beef
- What do people think of solar energy
- Did gorillas evolve from orangutans?
- Somebody always has to lose
- Was Trump's election a response to feminists
- Could the earth's oceans ever boil away?
- BTS know about their Pakistani fans
- Who would win between Itachi and Fugaku?
- What is your preferred string matching algorithm
- What is positive thinking and positive living
- Which grains are the least nutritious?
- Who sings the song Set You Free