What is the page ranking algorithm
SiteAnalyzer: principles for calculating the internal PageRank
In the new version of SiteAnalyzer we have carried out the calculation of the internal PageRank of websites, which you have asked about frequently and which is only available in some paid programs.
Today we are happy to announce that in the new version of SiteAnalyzer 1.8 the calculation of the internal PageRank is available for all users free of charge!
Below is a brief description of the algorithm and how it can be used in the program when analyzing the linking of the pages of your websites.
What is PageRank and what is it for?
The PageRank is a numerical measure for the "importance" of the page entered by Google and depends on the number and quality of the pages that are linked to the page. In other words, the PageRank is an algorithm for calculating the page authority: the more links to a page, the more important and authoritarian it is recognized.
A competent approach to building the site is therefore one of the key conditions for the successful ranking of the entire resource and its individual pages. The principle of calculating the internal PageRank described in this article will help you to find out how competent the architecture of your websites is with regard to search engines.
The principle of calculating the PageRank
The original algorithm for calculating PageRank was developed by the developers of Google Lawrence Page and Sergey Brin. The algorithm is as follows:
PR (A) = (1-d) + d (PR (T1) / C (T1) + ... + PR (Tn) / C (Tn))
- PR (A) - PageRank of page A
- PR (Ti) - PageRank of page Ti related to page A.
- C (Ti) - the number of external links on the Ti page (links pointing to other websites)
- d is the dump coefficient, which ranges from 0 to 1. This is a "softening coefficient" that determines the likelihood that a random user visiting Ti will follow an external link to Page A (usually a random variable). According to the Page and Brin algorithm, the dimming coefficient d is typically 0.85
You can learn more about the formula:
- Read here http://infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html and here http://ilpubs.stanford.edu:8090/422/1/1999-66.pdf
- Here you can download an example for the calculation of the PageRank in Excel
It goes without saying that PageRank does not classify websites as a whole, but is determined separately for each page. The fewer the number of external links on the Ti pages, the more weight they have.
There is also another algorithm for calculating the PageRank (more modern):
PR (A) = (1-d) / N + d (PR (T1) / C (T1) + ... + PR (Tn) / C (Tn))
- Where N is the total number of all Internet pages. This algorithm does not deviate radically from the previously proposed (1-d) / N - this is the mathematical expectation that determines the likelihood that a user of the Ti site will switch to page A.
How do you calculate the internal PageRank with SiteAnalyzer?
It is important to know that Google calculates the PageRank for every page on the internet and SiteAnalyzer calculates the weight of every page within the website. Therefore, in order to analyze the structure of the internal links on the website, it makes sense to refer to the idea of counting the PageRank and measuring the relative importance of each page within a given web resource.
To calculate page rank, the first thing you need to do is scan the website for information on all internal and external links.
For this purpose we start SiteAnalyzer and scan the site of interest to us (e.g. the site of our program https://site-analyzer.pro/). The number of iterations for the calculation of the PageRank is 15 by default, but can be changed in the program settings if necessary (the number of iterations varies between 2 and 50, but we think 15 is the most suitable to get the required result quickly).
You can also choose one of two options for the formula used to calculate PageRank, which we wrote a little higher about.
After scanning, go to the PageRank tab and do the calculation from the context menu. The following result is displayed:
In this example we can see that the main page of the website has the highest rank compared to other pages, which is logical and completely normal for this resource.
The determined PageRank values are automatically saved in the program (we deliberately did not derive the values of these intermediate iterations in order not to distract the user with unnecessary data).
Take another example, Site Y. At the end of the calculation, the internal PageRank statistics looked like this:
The internal PageRank of the main page of the catalog turned out to be higher than the similar indicator for the main page of the website. This aspect has no negative consequences for the ranking, as the balance is kept by external links on the main page of the website. However, it is important to take into account this moment and not allow a situation when the catalog page in the results of organic production is higher than that on the main page of the resource.
In this article, we have explored two ways of calculating PageRank in the SiteAnalyzer program that will allow you to analyze the navigation structure of your websites absolutely free of charge and optimize the system of internal resource links to transfer the reference weight to the most important pages.
If you have any questions or suggestions about this functionality of the program, you can write them in the comments on this article or send us an email using the feedback form.
Thank you for your attention!
- What is not maximum suppression
- Why is McDonalds great
- How do you stop being a troublemaker
- What is a WhatsApp story
- Satisfied customers are always the satisfied customers
- Does cannabis affect the way prescription drugs work?
- What is Oxford's Book List
- What is your best work advantage
- People try to be good
- Why did the US separate neighborhoods
- What is the pier break
- Can be alloyed with brass and steel
- Dogs are more empathetic than narcissists
- Likes Tyrion Jon more than Daenerys
- Is gravity or acceleration
- What is an automatic tool changer
- What are your favorite piano sonatas?
- What is 6 023 times 10 23
- How badly has Trump angered the UK
- Who are Theranos' main competitors
- Is death divinely ordained in Islam
- Is there any evidence that nirvana exists?
- The second change should be checked
- Why are Amsterdam's cafes closing