Which films have the best voice overs
What does "voiceover" mean? Explanation and definition
A friend tells you that she particularly likes the clever use of a "voiceover" in the film that she recently saw in the cinema and you only understand the train station? Netzwelt explains the term to you.
That means voiceover: overlaying a sound recording with a speaking voice
The term "Voiceover" - also spelled "Voice over" - is an English term that has been Germanized. It is often abbreviated as "VO". Translated directly it means something like "vote over". What is meant is a superimposition of a sound recording with a speaking voice in videos such as films.
So it is a voice that is not spoken by a person in the picture or next to the picture. Next to the picture means that the person speaking could easily be shown through a camera pan and is therefore only temporarily not visible in the picture section. This is called "off-screen voice".
There are different voiceover variants that can be distinguished according to literary or quasi-literary and non-literary forms:
- Speaker voice in a journalistic contribution
- Commentary voice in a documentary
- Narrator voice in the feature film
- First-person narrator voice
- Actor Voice Speaking Thoughts
- Actor voice that another actor imagines (e.g. when reading a letter)
- Actor voices that are spoken inside a building that can only be seen from the outside
- Conversation that is used overlapping scenes
Another case in which a voiceover also occurs is the translation of foreign language interviews. The voice of a translator is then superimposed on the original sound. The original sound is not completely faded out so that the interview remains authentic. The term voiceover originally comes from this radio scenario.
Voiceover as a stylistic device in film
In the film, the voiceover became popular in the 1940s. A narrator's voice was particularly popular there, which is seldom seen today. In other variants, monologues by actors clarify what is happening or provide insight into their thoughts. This can also create a contrast to the actual action. Especially when it comes to film adaptations, it can be helpful to use a voiceover to explain backgrounds for which there would otherwise be no space.
Have you come across other film and series terms or Inet abbreviations on the WWW that you do not know? Post the terms and abbreviations in our comments. Netzwelt will be happy to help you find the meaning.
" Tip:The best VPN providers for more security and data protection
- Why did the Xiongnu invade China
- Where can I download BackTrack 5 r3
- Where does Twitter's profit come from
- How do I focus on my dreams
- Where do you eat today
- How can someone improve their hearing?
- Which word best describes Buddhism?
- Who is looking for rice traders
- What are the best songs for programming
- What about profit life insurance
- How did Galileo Galilei invent the telescope
- How was FastSpring founded
- How do you say cousin in Swahili
- Is Quora built on RDF
- Who is Marlboro's owner
- Who was the first assassin
- Is the anesthetic more risky than the actual operation
- How does manure become the ground
- Likes Tyrion Jon more than Daenerys
- How fast can the brain travel
- Can you decipher the word, ohw
- What is the study of philosophy
- What are some unprovable scientific ideas
- What are your favorite piano sonatas?
- What is the PS4
- What is mania
- Can a bear escape a horse?
- How are Dior bags made
- How risky is OLX or Quikr
- Work physical subliminals
- Make US prisoners goods for export
- What is the composer of Drupal 8
- How big the threat is Stuxnet
- Can a student pilot wear glasses?