Is life cool or hot
How hot is the sun
The sun is like the earth: it is comparatively cool on the outside and quite hot on the inside. Only the circumstances are completely different. It is about 6,000 degrees Celsius on the surface of the sun, but the temperature inside is 15 million degrees.
In contrast to the earth, the sun is a huge fusion reactor. Under the enormous pressure inside, hydrogen atoms constantly fuse to form helium. Each 4 hydrogen atoms become one helium atom. This releases energy.
Convert mass into energy
We know from Einstein: mass can be converted into energy, and that's exactly what happens there. When the hydrogen atoms fuse to form helium, they lose about a hundredth of their mass, and that mass is converted into thermal energy.
And to give an idea: If one gram of hydrogen melts into helium, an energy of 180,000 kilowatt hours is released. On an electricity bill, this energy would cost 45,000 euros. But there are 6 billion tons of hydrogen that the sun converts into helium, every second. This creates the enormous temperature of 15 million degrees inside the sun, and of course this heat also migrates to the outside. But because the sun is so big, it takes a long time, namely 10 million years.
The coolest parts of the sun are hotter than the interior of the earth
For its part, the surface of the sun constantly radiates energy into space, including to us, of course. It is therefore cooled from the outside, which is why it is "only" about 6,000 degrees on the surface. On the sun's surface there are also the famous dark sunspots, which are a little cooler, around 4,000 to 5,000 degrees. If you compare that to the earth, it roughly corresponds to the temperature at the center of the earth. This means that the hottest parts of the earth's interior are still slightly cooler than the coolest points on the sun's surface.
The text and audio of this post are licensed under the CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 Creative Commons license.
- What is the concept of the accounting period
- Is bad a Machiavellian personality
- Which is better GRE or GMAT
- Tourism benefits the world
- Who has subscribed to 2 PewDiePie
- Electrical work is dangerous
- How do you measure arbitrage
- Which game increases your productivity
- What is reality mining
- What do you think of Houston, Texas
- What is POSIX 1
- Are Batman and Joker gay
- Do you know the secret of the incarnation
- What is the best treatment for athletes foot
- Who is a digital marketing engineer
- Is some pain normalized by the body
- What types of snakes are there in Texas
- How do I kill a boa constrictor
- How to Hack CCTV Camera Using iPhone
- Why do people hate Delhi
- Why does money have to be scarce?
- Recognize poisonous animals that they are poisonous
- Where does Twitter's profit come from
- How do you experience the culture of your country