What are some simple hacks to improve resume
Resume Checklist: These Tricks Increase Chances
Cover letter, curriculum vitae, certificates - this trio forms the basis of all application documents. As a rule, the résumé receives the most attention from the HR department - it forms the heart of every application, the obligation, so to speak (with the cover letter as an optional extra). The applicant's relevant career facts are listed here and their suitability and added value for the advertised position are documented. Accordingly, candidates should pay a lot of attention to writing their résumé. Individual adaptation to the employer and targeted optimization pay off enormously. Our checklist will help ...
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Resume Checklist: A formally simple thing
The thought trap that many applicants are caught in: Once written and optimized, you never have to touch and adjust your CV again. Because the résumé is only about the previous career and its clear presentation. That doesn't change anything between two or three applications. So it is the same in every application. Only the cover letter is individualized. Fatal!
Of course, this is not about a general description of one's own vita. In fact, that doesn't change. But the priorities and keywords may vary from job offer to job offer. And this is exactly the chance that applicants should take advantage of - even if it takes a little more effort. In purely formal terms, the curriculum vitae follows a classic structure. Graphically, the result could look like this:
The most important thing about a résumé is that it is complete. The following information is of most interest to HR managers and therefore belongs in the vita:
- Personal data (name, date of birth / place, address)
- Marital status and nationality
- Professional background (American: youngest first)
- School and training (including military or alternative service)
- Special qualifications (further education, certificates, languages)
- Interests (memberships, social engagement, hobbies)
- place, date, signature
In purely formal and stylistic terms, it is also important:
- Length: a maximum of two pages
- Header and footer: Identical in resume and cover letter
- Layout: Uniform (font, font sizes)
- Professional career: Indication of month and year (approximately: 01/2016)
- Signature: With the date at the end of the curriculum vitae
Which, in turn, does not belong in the so-called curriculum vitae:
- Information about parents or relatives
- Parents' occupation
- salary expectations
- The term "unemployed" (better: "job seeker")
- Personal comments on positions (facts only!)
Download: Application checklists
Use our numerous and free checklists to apply. Tips for cover letters, résumé, application documents and application portfolio. Plus lists and advice on job interviews. In this way, you are perfectly prepared for your application without forgetting important things ...
To the checklists
Video: Do you already use this resume trick?
Curriculum vitae with a message: The strategic design
A formally correct résumé is only the basis, however. The chances of getting the job in question can be increased immediately if the résumé is strategically designed and adapted to the respective position. You have several options for this adaptation:
- Optical highlighting of the relevant stations
- Detailed description of selected tasks
- Use relevant technical terms and stimulus words from the job advertisement
- Optical adaptation to the company
The last point mainly refers to the color design, the use of graphic elements (which are similar to the corporate style) and a font adapted to the company. You can orientate yourself well on the website of the respective employer. It goes without saying that you can then, of course, transfer such optical adjustments to the cover letter. The application documents should look uniform.
With a little sure instinct - without copying the layout of the company flatly - this trick can subtly create the impression with the HR manager that you are a perfect fit for the company and its culture. And even if you can see through the trick, you will still feel flattered because you have obviously dealt intensively with the company and adapted your documents with a lot of effort.
Resume Checklist: Focus the Content
In addition to the visual and graphic elements, you can also design the content of the curriculum vitae and thus approximate the job advertisement. The first step in revising the content of the résumé begins with a few questions:
- Which of my stations are important for the position?
- Which positions play a subordinate role?
- Which competencies are sought (mandatory qualifications)?
- Which skills are desired (optional qualifications)?
- How can I prove both by examples?
- What is my unique selling proposition for the position?
As mentioned above, it's not about rewriting your vita or changing the chronological order. It's just the way it is. However, you can specifically work out what the reader of the application is most likely to be looking for first. Since we know from other surveys that HR managers hardly take more than two to three minutes for the first review and selection, this can make all the difference in whether you get one round further.
You can also use the cover letter and the attached certificates to support the core statements of the résumé and emphasize important aspects. Seemingly unimportant details, such as hobbies or social engagement, can play an additional role and round off the overall impression.
Resume Checklist: Please don't overdo it
All of the above should not, however, tempt you to overdo it in any way. As always, Paracellus' law also applies here: the dose makes the poison. At first everything still looks authentic, suitable and rounded, then just trying and artificial. The checklist mentioned at the beginning is the top guideline for all optimization. You should therefore avoid ...
- a full copy of the corporate design
- too much text at the individual stations
- over-stimulating with buzzwords
- too complex a layout which makes the clarity suffer
- a break in style between cover letter and résumé
Overall, however, it is worthwhile to adapt your CV regularly and for each application in addition to the cover letter. No question about it, that makes more work. As a rule, there are always one to three employers of choice among the selected vacancies. At least for them you shouldn't shy away from the effort and thus increase your application chances.
Application templates: 120+ free samples
Use our professional designs and free application templates to apply. More than 120 professional templates for resume, cover letter and cover sheet as WORD files. Including sample texts for various professions and jobs. Ensure the perfect first impression of your application.
To download the templates
Further articles on the résumé
➠ resume colors
➠ Resume layout
➠ American CV
➠ Chronological curriculum vitae
➠ Thin resume
➠ First résumé
➠ Europass CV
➠ Fake CV
➠ housewife resume
➠ Modern resume
➠ mosaic resume
➠ International CV
➠ Patchwork resume
➠ Perfect resume
➠ Professional resume
➠ Career changer CV
➠ Student résumé
➠ Unemployment on the résumé
➠ Education on the résumé
➠ Experience abroad on the résumé
➠ Work experience on the résumé
➠ IT skills in the curriculum vitae
➠ Application without a résumé
➠ Breaks in the resume
➠ Voluntary work in the curriculum vitae
➠ Parental leave in the résumé
➠ Marital status on the résumé
➠ Mistakes in the résumé
➠ Continuing education in the curriculum vitae
➠ hobbies on the resume
➠ interests in the résumé
➠ Change of job in the résumé
➠ Knowledge of life
➠ Termination in the curriculum vitae
➠ Long illness in the course of life
➠ Children on the résumé
➠ Sign your resume
➠ gaps in the résumé
➠ Personal data in the curriculum vitae
➠ Internships on the résumé
➠ References in the curriculum vitae
➠ Have your CV written
➠ Language skills on the résumé
➠ Social commitment in the curriculum vitae
➠ Additional qualifications in the résumé
- Why are Capricorn men so difficult
- What are the side effects of Gleevec
- Does Amazon get a discount with Sprint?
- What is a Moyen poodle
- Why is my laptop mousepad not working
- The Owl City Band broke up
- Why do objects appear colored
- What Makes Games Delayed On Laptop Pc
- How can we recognize oral cancer
- What time is it in Nampa Idaho
- How did Galileo Galilei invent the telescope
- How's the night life in Billings MT
- Where should I stay in Kodaikanal
- What are the four types of microphones
- Which is the best sunscreen lotion cream
- Can we trade a single option repeatedly
- Can You Be Taxed On Crypto Income?
- Is it easy to be a postman
- Whats Trump's one word answer to rebuke
- Excludes fear from sociopathy
- How do you apologize in Japan?
- What is the Assamese script
- Why are feathers asymmetrical
- Why do flies always visit me